Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Rumble......

"We reckon with our emotions and get curious about what we’re feeling; we rumble with our stories until we get to a place of truth; and we live this process, every day, until it becomes a practice and creates nothing short of a revolution in our lives. Rising strong after a fall is how we cultivate wholeheartedness."  ~Brene Brown, Rising Strong
http://brenebrown.com/


I'm in the midst of something big...standing up....  I guess that doesn't sound so big, however it is the bravest thing I have ever done and  it feels huge.  I've spent a great deal of my life trying to build a place that keeps everyone happy and safe. I've taken care of people and I've nurtured dreams. Tolerated let downs with a smile and a story to protect those who do the letting down and kept the lights on in a broken place.  When my kids stumble and they do, I wrap my arms around them and fall with them, protecting them from the hard ground and cushioning the blows, harsh words and opinions of those who aren't looking out for their interest. I've lived in horrible run down unsafe houses but painted the walls and made white curtains to make them feel like home so everyone feels safe and loved. I've spent my life being and doing what is expected. Worked jobs and pursued a career that looked successful but I felt like a phony, going through the motions.  And in the process. I got lost.  I excused away the voice inside of me until I became a porcelain doll face with a frozen smile instead of the real girl, the messy, funny,  tangled, emotional, intuitive, longing, creative girl, the one that doesn't really fit in most places.  I declared myself to be one thing but knew deep I was selling out and being the very thing I was afraid of, broken and invisible.  Asking for nothing in return and pretending it was okay but truly getting a bit pissy about never being offered anything..just because I am here.  I built this little brick house but now I don't want to live in it. 

Don't get me wrong.  My kids, they are the world to me...just right the way they are.  I love them just like I want to, with my WHOLE HEART....And maybe it's the fact that they are grown or on their way to grown and they have left some big spaces empty in my world. Maybe I'm adjusting to what it feels like to be alone with myself and my truth.  Maybe it's my age and I'm not as inclined to be what everyone else is expecting or needs.  And I'm okay if they aren't okay with it.  Maybe I just want to fly a little bit and find out what fresh air in my face feels like.  Maybe I don't want anything less that what is absolutely real and authentic.  Maybe.....I just want to stand up, be seen and heard.  Maybe I just want to be me unapologetically.  Maybe I have learned to be compassionate and loving to me.  Maybe that makes me whole for the first time....

I can feel the ground swell underneath me.  I can feel the energy crackling off my fingertips, I can feel the fierceness of my heart as the rumble grows almost like the beat of a drum from down deep.  Every day a step or two taken in the direction I choose.  Looking at what is broken and crumbling and using it to build a future on or letting it go, whichever is the truest thing...It's personal and it's visible, this rumble of mine.  I spent a great deal of time crying and lamenting and wondering when I would understand the suffering and brokenness but never did I run from it, I stayed knowing it was important and it was.  At long last I do understand it.  I'm not forgetting or wishing away the harsh truths that I fought so hard to look at without blinders.  I'm gathering what the truths taught me as that is where the rumble came from......I am not afraid of the rumble as it is my story,  rather,  I think I will dance to it .. 


Be wildly you....

Barbara


6 comments:

  1. Beautifully imperfect, that is getting to be FINALLY ok with me. It's a messy process that never ends and that's OK too. Learning even that it's ok, necessary actually, to LET me be whoever me is at that given moment. To learn that guilt still wants to strangle my life into a dark and fallen place of loneliness, shame and fear. Standing up, against all that wants to keep me down might be the hardest thing I do for myself but brings the sweetest reward. I begin to live fully awake, aware and free.

    Thank you for sharing, as always I feel a soul sister connection.

    Giving brave new meaning,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie...thank you for being relentlessly yourself...it's a scary proposition but the stories you will have to tell! <3 B

      Delete
  2. Beautifully imperfect, that is getting to be FINALLY ok with me. It's a messy process that never ends and that's OK too. Learning even that it's ok, necessary actually, to LET me be whoever me is at that given moment. To learn that guilt still wants to strangle my life into a dark and fallen place of loneliness, shame and fear. Standing up, against all that wants to keep me down might be the hardest thing I do for myself but brings the sweetest reward. I begin to live fully awake, aware and free.

    Thank you for sharing, as always I feel a soul sister connection.

    Giving brave new meaning,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. A woman cannot go truly wrong by being honest with herself, owning up to what she wants, and pursuing truth in every direction. Wherever you find yourself when the dust clears, it will be in a true place even if you go nowhere different at all. Your personal journey offers strength and encouragement for ALL of us and I love you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, I love your heart. I love who you are and how free you are to share whats on your mind. It speaks to me ... it sparks a flame in me ....which is a big thing. I have lost my spark and my drive . Your words, thoughts and brave steps encourage me. Thank you. I appreciate your honesty and sharing your journey with us .

    ReplyDelete